Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fedora vs Ubuntu

Let me start out by saying that either of these two Linux distributions is great.
They each have their loyal followers for good reason. They are stable, fast and free.

They are different.

Ubuntu:
  1. installs easier
  2. upgrades from version to version easier
  3. hides the "root" account from the user
  4. has a more useful "run live" CD
Fedora:
  1. is more tailored to Red Hat Enterprise users
  2. can require more fine grained security understanding
  3. is often a bit more "bleeding edge"
  4. in my experience does not upgrade from version to version well
  5. requires a root password be created at install
I personally run Fedora because I like it. I never pass out Fedora "run live" CD's. because I am a selfish pig and I want to enjoy my free time. Fedora is just not as well suited for novice users. It is GREAT if you already understand administering Linux computer systems.

I personally do not use Ubuntu.

I hand out Ubuntu "run live" CD's like candy.

Ubuntu installs easily enough that a novice user can successfully put it on an old machine and have it running in minutes. I recommend and install Ubuntu for friends and family.

The Ubuntu "run live" CD's are also great for recovering the data from crippled Windows boxes.

So, there you have it. I run Fedora and recommend Ubuntu.